Monday, June 18, 2007

Army Hooah 10K race report:


Army Hooah 10K race report:

The race began at the Georgia Convention Center just off Camp Creek rd.
It was nice to have the amenities, free parking, and many bathrooms, plenty of room to stretch out.
The start: Being that we are all proud American we sang the Star Spangled Banner.
The wheel chair division started first, we had one participant start the 10K race, and unfortunately he flatted out and had to come back to the start. I wish I had my bike kit.
Moments latter the rest of the 10K bunch took off, and being that this is the “Army Hooah Race” many of the racers were “Army men” and “Army woman”, and they were fast.
The rest of the race went fine, they had water stops every mile and I was glad to see them, as it was hot. The course was somewhat boring, it was a point to point all taking place on one strait road, and somehow all up hill (My Dads school must have been around here somewhere, I mean it was all up hill both ways). They had blocked off many roads and all intersections were manned my Police officers, so all you had to do was run.
At one point somewhere around mile 4, the Fire Department had set up a ladder/basket truck up with the basket over the middle of the road and showering us runners as we pasted by. The miles went by quickly and I felt good the whole way, I did start to slow a bit the last mile or so but I had a good finish. Post race was cool, they had set up in a large lawn area, they had an Apache helicopter, the Army Humvees and bunches of things to see and do. The also had a Tot Trot 50 and 100 yard dash for the little ones.
I would/will run this one again and I would recommend it to every one. I felt quit proud to run with the Men and Woman of our fine Army, and the hair on the back of my neck stood up when I entered to the finish area at Fort McPherson.

Hooah!
And thanks to all the Volunteers!

No comments: